Sunday, May 12, 2013

Indie Angie Interviews Bijou Hunter...No Really

***Interview originally posted on the Indie Angie blog.***

Bijou Hunter is a brand new indie author. I should know since I created her a few months ago. Her first novel is the New Adult romance titled Damaged and the Beast. Let’s get to know more about her and why she exists.

Indie Angie: Why romance?

Bijou: Why not? Stop being such an elitist, Ang.

Anyway, I had written books heavy on romance including Ain’t No Angel which is somewhere between PNR and UF. When I was writing Blue Sacrifice, the plot was pretty romance heavy and I wondered if I could create a contemporary romance. No paranormal elements at all, just boy meets girl with a HEA. I’d been trying to push myself as a writer in the last year so I wanted to take a stab at a straight romance. No hiding behind vampires, zombies, or angels.

Indie Angie: Why New Adult?

Bijou: Most of my books feature MCs who fall into the age range of New Adult, but I just considered them adult. I know many people don’t even view New Adult as a real romance subgenre, but those two words have an appeal these days. Yeah, I sold out.

I do think the age range that falls within the New Adult designation is an exciting time in a person’s life. We change a lot during those years, allowing for angst that would seem stupid for thirty year olds.

Indie Angie: Why the pen name?

Bijou: When I find an author I like, I run out and buy more of their books. I don’t think the audiences for my two writing names would mesh well though. Damaged and the Beast is so different from what I normally write and I worried readers who loved the book might think my Angela books would be similar. Same with readers of the Angela books not necessarily jiving with the Bijou stuff.

Indie Angie: Cooper isn’t your normal kind of love interest. Did you sell out again?

Bijou: Sell out or stretch myself? Probably both. For my paranormal books, I rarely write the OTT alpha. I think only one guy could fall into that category and he had supernatural reasons for being a jerk. I wanted to see if I could write the bad boy/manslut that I usually avoid and make him likable. Did I manage it? Some readers would say, “Hell yeah!” Others likely think, “File a restraining order on that asshole!”

Indie Angie: So are you a romance slut now?

Bijou: I honestly didn’t know if I would write more romance. I did hope to write a second Damaged book, but even that was in the air when I published the first one. Having received positive feedback, I started writing the second book following Farah’s sister. I’m also working on new ideas for more romance books and series.

Indie Angie: I thought you loved paranormal. How cold are you to just leave it behind?

Bijou: Back off, Ang! You're not the boss of me!

Besides, I’m still a paranormal junkie and intend to finish the Blue Davison’s series as soon as the second Damaged book is complete. I’ll also finish my other paranormal series.

In the end, what I write long term will depend on the ideas I have and the feedback I get. Thinking as a professional author, rather than a hobby writer, means I can't write books simply for my pleasure. Yet, I do have a few paranormal ideas I’m dying to write even if no one ever buys them. For now, I’m leaving myself open to wherever my creativity takes me.

Get your copy of Damaged and the Beast at Amazon.

Follow Bijou on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive